Visa Information, Visa Requirements, Visa Application Guidelines, Immigration Rules and Inquiry

Working in Canada

To work in Canada:

  • Your employer may need to get a labour market opinion (LMO) to hire you. This is a document from the Government of Canada that gives your employer permission to hire a foreign worker.
  • Some jobs do not need an LMO.
  • You must meet the requirements to:
    • enter the country,  
    • stay in Canada and
    • get a work permit.

      This means you may also need a visitor visa.
  • A work permit does not let you live in Canada permanently. To do so, you must qualify under an immigration category as a permanent resident.
  • Live–in caregivers who meet certain requirements can apply to stay in Canada permanently.
  • Your spouse or common-law partner and your dependent children may apply to come to Canada with you.

 Temporary workers

If you need a work permit to work temporarily in Canada, you must make sure you are eligible for one. Whether you are eligible or not depends on a few things, including where you plan to apply for your work permit.

Apply from outside Canada Anyone may apply for a work permit before they enter Canada. In some cases, you must apply to a visa office outside Canada. This is usually true if you need a visa to enter Canada or if you need to have a medical exam before you come here.

Apply from inside Canada You can only apply for a work permit from inside Canada if you:
  • are currently in Canada and have a valid study or work permit, or your spouse or parents have a study or work permit,
  • have graduated from a program at a
    • Canadian university,
    • community college,
    • CÉGEP,
    • publicly funded trade/technical school or
    • other eligible school,
  • have a temporary resident permit that is valid for six months or more, or
  • are in Canada because you have already applied for permanent residence from inside Canada (you will have to pass certain stages in the main application process to be eligible for a work permit).
Apply as you enter Canada
You can ask to be allowed to work in Canada as you enter Canada but only if:
  • you do not need a visa,
  • you already hold a valid medical certificate, if you need it for your job, and
  • your employer does not need a labour market opinion (LMO) for your job (with some exceptions) or you already have an LMO.


Live-in caregivers

You will need:

A positive Labour Market Opinion (LMO) from an employer in Canada Before hiring you, your employer must:
  • apply to Human Resources and Skills Development Canada/Service Canada (HRSDC/SC) to have his or her suggested job offer reviewed; and
  • receive a positive Labour Market Opinion (LMO) from HRSDC/SC.
HRSDC/SC will assess your employer’s job offer and the employment contract to be sure that it meets the requirements for wages and working conditions and the provincial labour and employment standards, and that there are not enough Canadians or permanent residents available to work as live-in caregivers in Canada. If HRSDC/SC finds the job offer acceptable, they will issue a positive LMO to your employer.

You will need to submit a copy of this positive LMO when you apply for a work permit.
A written contract with your future employer, signed by you and the employer

You and your future employer are legally required to sign a written employment contract. You must submit the signed contract with your work permit application. This must be the same employment contract submitted to HRSDC/SC by your employer, unless you provide an explanation of any changes (for example, a new start date).

The written employment contract will ensure there is a fair working arrangement between you and your employer.

The employment contract must demonstrate that the Live-in Caregiver Program requirements are met by including a description of:
  • mandatory employer-paid benefits, including:
    • transportation to Canada from your country of permanent residence or the country of habitual residence to the location of work in Canada
    • medical insurance coverage provided from the date of your arrival until you are eligible for provincial health insurance
    • workplace safety insurance coverage for the duration of the employment
    • all recruitment fees, including any amount payable to a third-party recruiter or agents hired by the employer that would otherwise have been charged to you
  • job duties
  • hours of work
  • wages
  • accommodation arrangements (including room and board)
  • holiday and sick leave entitlements
  • termination and resignation terms


Permanent Workers

Skilled workers are people who are chosen as permanent residents based on their ability to prosper in Canada.

Canada assess federal skilled worker (FSW) applications based on the factors set out below.

A) Basic eligibility

Canada will only process your FSW application if you have:
at least one year of continuous and paid (full-time or an equal amount in part-time) work experience
  • in a single occupation,
  • within the last 10 years,
  • at skill type 0, or skill levels A or B of the 2011 edition of the Canadian National Occupational Classification (NOC), and you:
    1. have this work experience in one of the eligible occupations, OR
    2. have a valid offer of arranged employment, OR
    3. are an international student who is enrolled in a PhD program in Canada (or who graduated from a Canadian PhD program within the past 12 months)

B) Minimum requirements

Work experience

If your application is eligible to be processed, we will then assess it to see if your work experience is valid.
Your work experience must be:

  • for at least one year in the same occupation,
  • continuous and paid (full-time or an equal amount in part-time),
  • within the last 10 years,

  • skill type 0 (managerial occupations) or
  • skill level A (professional occupations) or
  • skill level B (technical occupations and skilled trades)

Language ability

You must meet minimum language levels and include the results of a language test from an agency approved by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) when you apply that shows you meet the minimum language requirement of Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) 7.


You must have:

  • a Canadian diploma, certificate, or credential

  • a foreign educational credential, and an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) by an agency approved by CIC to show it is equal to a completed Canadian secondary or post-secondary educational credential.


C) Six selection factors

If you meet all the conditions set out in sections A and B above, your application will be processed based on the six selection factors in the skilled worker points grid. They are:

  • your skills in English and/or French, Canada’s two official languages,
  • your education,
  • your work experience,
  • your age,
  • whether you have arranged employment in Canada, and
  • your adaptability (how well you are likely to settle here).

D) Proof of funds

You must also show that you have enough money to support yourself and your family after you arrive in Canada.

E) Inadmissibility

Some people are inadmissible—they are not allowed to come to Canada. Several things can make you inadmissible, including being involved in:

  • crime, or
  • human rights violations.
You can also be inadmissible for:

  • security,
  • health,
  • financial reasons, or
  • other reasons.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...