Visa Information, Visa Requirements, Visa Application Guidelines, Immigration Rules and Inquiry

Applying to visit Canada as a Tourist (DETAILS YOU NEED TO KNOW)

To visit Canada, you must:
  • have a valid travel document, such as a passport,
  • be in good health,
  • convince an immigration officer that you have ties—such as a job, home, financial assets or family—that will take you back to your home country,
  • convince an immigration officer that you will leave Canada at the end of your visit, and
  • have enough money for your stay. (The amount of money you will need can vary. it depends on things like how long you will stay, and whether you will stay in a hotel or with friends or relatives.)
You may also need a:
  • temporary resident (visitor) visa, depending on your citizenship,
  • medical exam and
  • letter of invitation from someone who lives in Canada. 

Travel documents

Transport companies, such as airlines, must make sure you have proper, valid travel documents when you enter Canada. If you do not have the proper documents, you may be delayed or unable to board the plane.

The following travel documents are not considered reliable. You cannot use them to enter Canada:
  • passports supposedly issued by Somalia,
  • non-machine readable passports issued by the Czech Republic,
  • temporary passports issued by the Republic of South Africa and
  • provisional passports issued by Venezuela.
This list can change. Check it regularly for up-to-date information.

Carry proper travel documents and identification

While you may not need a visa to visit or transit Canada, you still need to:
  • Show an immigration officer that you satisfy all other requirements to enter Canada. For instance, you may need a medical exam before arriving. If you do not meet all the requirements, you may not be allowed to enter.
  • Carry proper travel documents and identification for yourself and any children travelling with you. 


Some people are not allowed to travel to Canada. They are known as “inadmissible” under Canada’s immigration law.

There are many reasons applicants may be inadmissible, such as:
  • you are a security risk,
  • you have committed human or international rights violations,
  • you have been convicted of a crime, or you have committed an act outside Canada that would be a crime,
  • you have ties to organized crime,
  • you have a serious health problem,
  • you have a serious financial problem,
  • you lied in your application or in an interview,
  • you do not meet the conditions in Canada’s immigration law, or
  • one of your family members is not allowed into Canada.

Apply for Visa
You can apply online or in person at the Visa Application Centre (VAC).

Applying online

You must have:
  • access to a scanner or camera to create electronic copies of your documents to upload, and
  • a valid credit card to pay with. 

Applying at the VAC

  • Fill the application form and other relevant documents.
  • Fill VAC consent form and attach it with your application form.
  • Pay visa fees and biometric fee
  • Submit your passport, photographs, completed forms and all supporting documents
  • Your biometrics will be taken at the time of submission. 

If you submit your application in person at a VAC, the biometric fee of $85 CAD per person covers the cost of collecting your biometrics and handling your application. This includes making sure your application is complete, sending it to the visa office and telling you when your passport or travel documents have been sent back.

Visa Fees

The fees in Naira are updated periodically according to the exchange rate. Payments must be for the exact amount indicated.

Temporary Residence Applications
Description CADNGN
Temporary Resident Visa:
Individual - single entry7511,800
Individual - multiple entry15023,400
Family Rate - maximum40062,400
Work Permit  (fee includes temporary resident visa, if required)15023,400
Work permit for a group of 3-14 entertainers45070,200
Study Permit (fee includes temporary resident visa, if required)12519,500
Transit Visa (for less than 48 hours in Canada)FreeFree

Minor children
Children under the age of 18 are considered minors in Canada. They must follow the same rules to enter Canada as any other visitor.

Minors who try to enter Canada without the proper documents, or who are with adults other than their parents or legal guardian(s), will be checked more closely.

Border services officers are on alert for children who need protection and check very carefully for missing or runaway children. They may question you about children who come with you to Canada or question a child who travels alone. Make sure you have the proper documents with you.

Minor children entering Canada as a visitor

The documents a minor child needs to present to enter Canada depend on whether the child is travelling alone or with someone.

If a minor child is travelling alone:

The child should present:
  • his own passport
    • a parent’s passport, even if the child’s details are included in it, cannot be used
  • a copy of his birth certificate, and
  • a letter of authorization, in English or French if possible, and signed by both parents or by their legal guardian which lists:
    • the parents' (or legal guardian's) address and telephone number, and
    • the name, address and telephone number of the adult who will look after the child in Canada.


If a minor child is travelling with one parent only:

The child should present:
  • a copy of his birth certificate, and
  • a letter of authorization, in English or French if possible, which is signed by the parent who is not travelling with them and lists:
    • the address and telephone number of the parent who is not travelling, and
    • a photocopy of that parent's signed passport or national identity card.
If the parents are separated or divorced, and share custody of the child:

  • the parent travelling with the child should carry copies of the legal custody documents.

  • It is also best to have a letter of authorization from the other parent who has custody to take the child on a trip out of the country.
If the parents are separated or divorced and one of them has sole custody of the child: 
  • the letter of authorization may be signed by that parent only and they should bring a copy of the custody decree.

If one of the child's parents is deceased:
  • the travelling parent should bring a copy of the death certificate.


If a minor child is travelling with a legal guardian or adoptive parents:

The child should have a copy of the guardianship papers or the adoption papers (whichever one applies).


If a minor child is travelling with a person other than their parents or legal guardian:

The adult who is not the parent or legal guardian of the child should have written permission from the parents or guardians to supervise the child. The permission letter should include addresses and telephone numbers where the parents or legal guardian can be reached.

The letter does not need to be certified. A photocopy of the parents' or legal guardian's signed passports or national identity cards should be attached to the letter.

Note: The border services officer may not ask to see these documents when the child enters Canada. However, it is strongly recommended you bring them, in case that you are. The minor child will not be admitted to Canada if the officer is not convinced that the parents or legal guardian have authorized his stay.

Prepare for your arrival 

When you arrive in Canada, a border services officer will greet you. The officer works for the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA). The CBSA protects Canada's borders and points of entry.

The officer will ask to see your passport or travel documents. If you applied for a parent and grandparent super visa, you will have other documents to give to the officer. Make sure that you have them with you and that they are not packed in your luggage. This will speed up your entry into Canada.

Even if you do not need a visa to enter Canada, the officer will ask you a few questions. The officer will make sure that you meet the requirements to enter Canada.

You will not be allowed into Canada if you give false or incomplete information. You must convince the officer that you are eligible for entry into Canada. You will also have to convince the officer that you will leave Canada at the end of your approved stay.

In some cases, an immigration officer can ask you to post a bond in the form of a cash deposit. This bond makes sure that you follow certain rules during your visit to Canada (for instance, leaving Canada when the time approved for your stay is over). The Government of Canada will never ask you to deposit money into a personal bank account or to transfer money through a specific company.

If you need to post a bond in the form of a cash deposit, the officer fixes the deposit amount based on your financial resources and other conditions set out in Canada's immigration law.

The officer will stamp your passport or let you know how long you can stay in Canada. The period is usually six months. In some cases, the officer may limit this period to cover only the planned purpose of your visit. Ask questions if you are not sure about anything.

If you do not obey the conditions of your visa, we will ask you to leave Canada. Most people asked to leave Canada have the right to a fair hearing to review the decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...