Visa Information, Visa Requirements, Visa Application Guidelines, Immigration Rules and Inquiry

Applying for Canada Study Permit - Designated Learning Institutions (DLIs)

Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) recognizes that international education is at the heart of Canada’s current and future prosperity. By inviting international students into Canada's classrooms, we create new jobs and opportunities for Canadians, and create a pool of immigrants for Canada.

CIC works with the provinces and territories and the various stakeholders within Canada's international education community to deliver the International Student Program.

To be able to host international students in Canada, educational institutions must be accredited by the province or territory that they are located in and be on the DESIGNATED LEARNING INSTITUTION LIST.

Compliance Reporting

All Designated Learning Institutions (DLIs) at the post secondary level, with the exception of institutions located in Quebec, must complete regular reports on the academic enrolment status of their international students to Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC).

Reporting is scheduled for every April and November, starting April 15, 2015.

Information collected allows CIC to assess whether study permit holders in Canada continue to meet their study permit conditions, including whether they are actively pursuing their course or program of study at a DLI. Students who do not comply with these study permit conditions can be subject to a removal order.

General best practices

DLIs and study permit application process

Prevent fraud
To discourage fraudulent applications, educational institutions should not offer financial rewards to education agents or international student advisors for submitting study permit applications.

Letters of acceptance
International students are required to submit a letter of acceptance from a Designated Learning Institution (DLI) when submitting a study permit application to CIC. A template letter of acceptance (PDF, 73.68 KB) is available for DLIs. Using this template facilitates the study permit application process.

DLIs at the post-secondary level are encouraged to include the DLI number (which starts with the letter “O”) on all letters of acceptance. This will make it easier for students to complete their study permit application.

Who can offer advice on immigration to international students?

Education agents or international student advisors who advise on immigration matters related to student recruitment, such as applying for a study permit, re-entry visas, or status extension, must be an authorized immigration representative.

An authorized immigration representative must be a member in good standing of one of these organizations:
  • law society of a province or territory, including paralegals and students-at-law, if they act under the supervision of a lawyer or a notary in Quebec; or
  • Chambre des notaires du Qu├ębec; or
  • Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulatory Council (ICCRC).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...