Visa Information, Visa Requirements, Visa Application Guidelines, Immigration Rules and Inquiry

Settling in United Kingdom

Most applicants for settlement must show that they have a knowledge of language and life in the UK.

You can demonstrate your knowledge of language and life (KOLL) in the UK by:
  • passing the Life in the UK test, and either
  • having a qualification in English at B1 level or above of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR), which includes assessment of speaking and listening, or
  • having a degree that was taught or researched in English, or
  • being a national of an English-speaking country.


Non-European nationals can travel to or remain in the UK as the partners, children and elderly dependent relatives of people who are already in the UK:

  • Family members of British citizens and settled persons
  • Family members of migrant workers and students
  • Reuniting asylum seekers with their families
  • Marriage and civil partnership


There are two ways of applying for settlement: by post or through a public enquiry office. If you apply by post using application form SET(M), you can also use the settlement checking service to submit your application. This is a service offered by local authorities in partnership with UK Border Agency.

If you are already in the UK but you have not been staying long enough to apply for settlement, you can apply to extend your temporary permission to stay.


Returning Resident - If you were given permission to settle in the UK but then decided to live abroad for some time, you may be able to return to the UK as a settled person.

A resident is someone who has been given permission to stay in the UK without any time limit. A returning resident is a resident who left the UK and wants to live in the UK again.

You may return to the UK as a resident if:
  • you were settled in the UK when you last left; and
  • you have been away for 2 years or less; and
  • you are returning to live here permanently; and
  • you were not given public funds to pay the costs of leaving the UK.

If you have been away for more than 2 years, you may still qualify to return to live in the UK if, for example, you have strong family ties in the UK or have lived in the UK most of your life.

If you have been away for more than 2 years, you must apply for a visa or an entry clearance certificate before you can return to the UK.

If the stamp that originally gave you permission to settle in the UK (known as 'indefinite leave to remain') is in an old passport, you should carry both your old passport and your new passport when you travel to the UK, as evidence of your settled status. If you cannot produce your original stamp, you may not be allowed to enter the UK.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...