Visa Information, Visa Requirements, Visa Application Guidelines, Immigration Rules and Inquiry

Working in UK - Investor Visa (Tier 1)

You can apply for a Tier 1 (Investor) visa if:
  • you want to invest £2,000,000 or more in the UK
  • you’re from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland
  • you meet the other eligibility requirements
You must have access to at least £2,000,000 in investment funds to apply.

How long it will take
You can apply for a visa up to 3 months before your date of travel to the UK.

You should get a decision on your visa within 3 weeks.

How much you pay for a Tier 1 (Investor) visa depends on your situation, where you are and how you apply.
Who you’re applying for Apply Extend or switch by post
You £1,500 £1,500
All dependants £1,500 for each dependant £1,500 for each dependant

You’ll also have to pay the healthcare surcharge as part of your application.

Fees for applying and extending in person
You can use the super premium service to apply or extend in person.

It costs a one-off fee of £7,000, plus application fees for each person of:
  • £1,900 for the ‘main applicant’
  • £1,900 for each dependant

You can use this service for up to 4 ‘main applicants’ and a maximum of 10 people per visit. ‘Main applicants’ are the people with access to the investment funds.

How long you can stay
You can travel to the UK with a Tier 1 (Investor) visa for a maximum of 3 years and 4 months.

You can apply to extend this visa for another 2 years.

What you can and cannot do
You can:
  • invest £2,000,000 or more in UK government bonds, share capital or loan capital in active and trading UK registered companies
  • work or study
  • apply to settle after 2 years if you invest £10 million
  • apply to settle after 3 years if you invest £5 million

You cannot:
  • invest in companies mainly engaged in property investment, property management or property development
  • work as a professional sportsperson or sports coach
  • get public funds
You also cannot work as a doctor or dentist in training unless one of the following applies:
  • you have a primary degree at bachelors level or above in medicine or dentistry from a UK institution that holds a Tier 4 sponsor license or is a UK recognised or listed body
  • you worked as a doctor or dentist in training the last time you were in the UK
  • neither of those conditions were part of the terms and conditions on a previous visa


You must have at least £2,000,000 investment funds to apply for a Tier 1 (Investor) visa.

You must:
  • be 18 or over to apply for this visa
  • be able to prove that the money belongs to either you or your husband, wife, unmarried or same-sex partner
  • have opened a UK bank account
Your funds must be:
  • held in one or more regulated financial institutions
  • free to spend (‘disposable’) in the UK
Your money can be in the UK or overseas when you apply.

Students with financial sponsorship
You may be able to apply for a Tier 1 (Investor) visa if you’re already in the UK and you’re:
  • a Tier 4 (General) visa holder
  • a student nurse
  • studying, writing up a thesis or re-sitting an exam
  • a postgraduate doctor or dentist
  • an overseas qualified nurse or midwife
  • a student sabbatical officer
You must have unconditional agreement in writing from your financial sponsor to re-enter or stay in the UK if your course fees and living costs were paid by either:
  • a government
  • an international scholarship agency

Documents you must provide

When you apply you’ll need to provide:
  • a current passport or other valid travel identification
  • a passport-sized colour photograph
  • your tuberculosis test results if you’re from a country where you have to take the test
You must provide a criminal record certificate from any country you have lived in for 12 months or more in the last 10 years.

Evidence of investment funds
You’ll need to provide evidence showing that you have the required investment funds.

Your own money
  • If you’re using your own money to invest, you should be able to show:
  • how much money you have and where it’s being held
  • where the money came from if you haven’t had the money for at least 3 months, eg you inherited it from a relative
  • that the money can be transferred to the UK and converted to sterling (if it’s not already in the UK)

Your partner’s money
You’ll need to provide:
  • a certificate of marriage or civil partnership, or in the case of unmarried or same-sex relationships, proof that you are in a long-term relationship (at least 2 years)
  • a statement from your partner confirming that they will allow you to control the funds in the UK
  • a letter from a legal adviser stating that the declaration is valid

You’ll need to provide a certified translation of any documents that aren’t in English or Welsh.

You may need to provide additional documents depending on your circumstances.

How to Apply

You must complete your visa application by 5 July if you’ve already paid the immigration health surcharge or you might have to pay it twice. You’ll get a refund for your first payment.

Applying outside the UK
You must apply online for a Tier 1 (Investor) visa.

You’ll need to have your fingerprints and photograph taken at a visa application centre (to get a biometric residence permit) as part of your application.

You’ll have to collect your biometric residence permit within 10 days of when you said you’d arrive in the UK (even if you actually arrive at a later date).

You’ll also have to pay the healthcare charge as part of your application.

Applying in the UK
You can only extend your existing visa or switch to this visa if you’re already in the UK.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...