Visa Information, Visa Requirements, Visa Application Guidelines, Immigration Rules and Inquiry

How to Apply for a UK Visa - Student (Tier 4)

Information for adult traveling to the UK to study.

To apply as a student under Tier 4, you must have been offered a place on a course of study by a 'Tier 4 sponsor'.  
Take Note: All approved UK education provider who teaches international students gets Tier 4 sponsor licence and are added to register of Tier 4 sponsors.

Only a Tier 4 sponsor can assign Confirmations of Acceptance for Studies (CASs) to international students. To score enough points to become a Tier 4 student, you will need a CAS, so you must check that the provider of your chosen course is a licensed Tier 4 sponsor.


Confirmation of acceptance for studies(CAS)
Before you can apply for permission to enter or remain in the UK under Tier 4 (General), your education provider must assign a confirmation of acceptance for studies (CAS) to you. This confirms that you have been given an unconditional offer of a place on a course of study with a licensed Tier 4 sponsor.

If you have a valid CAS, you can score 30 points in our points assessment.

Acceptable course of study
You must be applying to:
  • study full-time in the UK; or
  • undertake a recognised Foundation Programme as a postgraduate doctor or dentist in the UK; or
  • work as a student union sabbatical officer in the UK.
If you will be studying full-time on a course other than a Foundation Programme, the course must also:
  • lead to a qualification at or above level 6 on the revised National Qualifications Framework (NQF) or its equivalents; or
  • be a short-term 'study abroad' programme as part of your higher education course at an overseas institution; or
  • be an English language course at or above level B2 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR); or
  • be an English language course at any level, if you are a government-sponsored student or if the course is a pre-sessional course which you are taking before a degree course - but only if your confirmation of acceptance for studies (CAS) was assigned before 21 April 2011; or
  • involve at least 15 hours per week of organised daytime study. 'Daytime' is 08:00 to 18:00, Monday to Friday.
(If you are studying English as a foreign language, this qualifies as 'an English language course'.)
If the course is below revised NQF level 6 or equivalent and is not an English language course or a study abroad programme, it must:
  • be approved at or above level 3 on the NQF or Qualifications and Credits Framework (QCF), or accredited at or above level 6 in the Scottish Credit and Qualifications Framework (SCQF), if you will be studying with a Highly Trusted sponsor; or
  • be approved at or above level 4 on the NQF or QCF, or accredited at ar above level 7 in the SCQF, if you will be studying with a sponsor that has an A (Trusted) rating; or
  • be a pre-sessional course to prepare you for your main course of study in the UK.
Level 3 of the NQF is equivalent to a UK 'A level'. Level 6 of the revised NQF is equivalent to a UK bachelor's degree.

Academic progression
If you have previously studied in the UK under Tier 4 (General) or under the student rules that were in force before 31 March 2009, your Tier 4 Sponsor cannot assign a CAS to you on or after 4 July 2011 unless:
  • your new course represents academic progress from your previous study; or
  • you are re-sitting examinations or repeating modules; or
  • you are making a first application to move to a new institution to complete a course that you started elsewhere.
For example, you can be assigned a CAS to study for a new qualification at a higher academic level than your previous UK course, or to study for a qualification that complements or enhances your previous studies at the same level.

If you have enough money available (or already paid to your education provider), you will score 10 points in our points assessment. Unless you score these points, you cannot apply under Tier 4 (General).

You will not have access to most state benefits (also known as 'public funds') during your stay in the UK, and the amount of work you can do is limited.

The money you will need depends on the length of your course and the location where you will study.

To score 10 points in the points assessment, you must show that you can pay your course fees for your first period of study (or for your next period of study, if you are applying to continue a course) and your living costs for up to nine months.

Money to cover your course fees
If you are applying to start a new course, you must show that you have enough money to pay your course fees for the first year of your course (or for the entire course, if it lasts less than a year).
If you have already started your course and you are applying to extend your stay so that you can continue that course, you must show that you have enough money to pay your course fees:
  • to the end of the current academic year; or
  • for the next academic year, if you will continue your course at the start of the next academic year.

Living Costs
  • £1,000 a month if you are spending more than half of your study time in inner London; or
  • £800 a month if you are spending more than half of your study time outside inner London .
'Inner London' is defined as any of the following London boroughs:
  • Camden, City of London, Hackney, Hammersmith and Fulham, Haringey, Islington, Kensington and Chelsea, Lambeth, Lewisham, Newham, Southwark, Tower Hamlets, Wandsworth, Westminster.

Documents Needed:

As a Tier 4 (General) student, you must have 40 points in the points assessment.

You can score:
  • 30 points for having a valid Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS), which you get for studying a course at an acceptable level with an approved education provider (also known as a 'Tier 4 sponsor'), and for having acceptable English language skills; and
  • 10 points for having enough money (also known as maintenance or funds) to cover your course fees and living costs.

You may also want to provide:
  • Documents used to obtain your CAS
  • Evidence of money to cover your course fees and living costs (total money should be kept in your account or sponsor's account for a minimum of 28days before you submit your application)

You should provide as many relevant documents as you can to show that you qualify for entry to the UK. You must decide which documents will best support your application. Its advisable you consider providing documents that contain:
  • information about you or your financial sponsor
  • information about your/financial sponsor's finances and employment
  • your accommodation and travel details
For every document you provide, you must include the original document and a photocopy.

Documents includes a copy of your passport bio-data page (the page containing your photograph). If you do not provide a photocopy of each document, your original documents might not be returned to you.
  • A signed copy of your completed visa application form.
  • A current and valid travel document or passport (your passport must contain at least 1 page that is blank on both sides).
  • 1 passport sized colour photograph (45 millimetres high x 35vmillimetresvwide, taken against a plain cream or plain light-grey background).
  • Previous passports to show your previous travel history.
  • Evidence of your marital status. This could include a marriage certificate, a civil partnership certificate, a divorce certificate or a death certificate.
  • Evidence of your current employment or studies.
  • Bank statements or bank books - Showing what has been paid in and out of an account for up to the previous six months, and naming the account holder.
  • Bank letter or balance certificate - Showing the account balance, the account holder’s name and the date when the account was opened. If you provide this document you should consider providing additional documents to show the origins of the money in your account. 

How to Apply:
You will need to complete and submit a visa application form online at Visa4UK.

When you have completed your online application form, you will need to print and sign your completed form.

When you have completed your online application, you will receive an email message containing your application number (also known as a 'GWF reference'). Please make a note of this number.

Before you sign your application form, you must ensure that the information on the form is correct and your supporting documents are genuine and unaltered. If you do not have a document you should explain why you do not have it. You must not provide a false document.

Application Fee and payment:
Visa application fee is paid online after filling of visa form, using the Visa4UK .

Submission of documents at the application centre:
You must go to the UK Visa Application Centre in your city/country to submit your application and facial photograph and fingerprints (biometric information).

Every time you apply for a visa you must appear at the visa application centres.

Applicants under 16 years old must be accompanied by an adult when enrolling their biometric information.

There is no extra fee for enrolling your biometric information.

READ: Studying in United Kingdom


  1. So to score 10points, one must have 1000pounds per month for the duration of the course? For example if my proposed course is for 3 years.

    1. If your course is for 3yrs, U need 1000pounds x 36months = 36000pounds to be kept in your account or your sponsor's account 28days before you submit your application.

    2. Thanks. I appreciate :)


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...